Though the Gaussian blur remains one of the most popular filters given its simplicity, versatility, and efficacy, different blurring methods and atmospheric filters can benefit your videos. Some of our favorites include:
- Radial blur – This incredible effect begins at a specific focal point and blurs inward or outward to create a dramatic, rotational feel—like you're staring at an object that’s spinning at lightning speed.
- Lens distortion – Try this trippy filter to amplify the sense of distortion and unreality in your video. This powerful effect combines blurring techniques with chromatic aberration for a sense of surreal style.
- Vignette – Reinforce the sense of drama and focus created by a Gaussian blur with a vignette effect, which plays with darkness and light to draw the audience’s attention to the center of the frame.
- Sharpen – If you’re creating a hyperreal production that leans more toward grittiness than dreaminess, experiment with sharpening features, which forego Gaussian softness for increased clarity throughout the shot.
- Lens flare – There’s nothing like the power of perfect lighting. But some raw material leaves much to be desired. Tap into captivating light tricks (in a flash) with effects like lens flare, mimicking the moment the light hits your lens.
- VHS effect – Shift from a smooth Gaussian feel to a timeworn, retro vibe with a VHS effect. Add visual interest and texture with this stylized filter that adds lines, static, and a vivid sense of nostalgia.
With Runway, you can feel free to experiment with all of these features—and more—to your heart's content. Thanks to our diverse selection of visual editing features, filters, and effects, you can find the perfect blur for your project or discover a fine-tuned preset that speaks to your creative vision. With one-click ease, intuitive collaboration, and in-browser access, the path to creative success has never been clearer.